Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Project
Like other services, drinking water supply and sanitation project gives us much important. We therefore, the integrated approach makes a rural areas healthy and eco-friendly in nature. To enhance the health and human services programs, this project is very important and indispensable for human life, where majority of our beneficiaries is not enlightened about health. They take impure water and attend call of nature anywhere and everywhere for which they move in the vitiated environment. BRIDGE is conducting this program since 1993 with the assistance of NGO forum for DWSS. Since 1998, BRIDGE & NGO Forum jointly produces village sanitation project in own land of the organization.
Village Sanitation Center: Production center for easily available, BRIDGE constructed two productions centre of sanitary latrines materials one at Mongla under Bagerhat District and another is located at Uzirpur in Barisal District. Those centers construct advanced lasting Ring and sale. Orgainzed members of BRIDGE purchase ring and slab on cash payment. Besides that BRIDGE installed tube-well and Rainwater harvesting with the assistance of NGO Forum for DWSS.
- To ensure 100% sanitary latrine in the working area of BRIDGE especially Mongla upzila in Bagerhat and Uzirpur upzila in Barisal distract.
- To ensure supply of Sanitary Latrine at a low price.
- To ensure free from polluting environment.
- To stop habit to discharge stood anywhere and everywhere.
- To create habit to use of sanitary latrine.
- To build healthy environment in a society.
- To give idea about source of safe water.
- To create awareness about safe water and un-safe water.
- To arrange harvesting from rainwater.
- 17,000 people motivated for taking safe-water and using Sanitary Latrine.
- Distributed 6000 set of sanitary Latrine with its things.
- 5 tube-well were installed in Burirdanga Union under Mongla P.S. and 250 families are getting benefit from it.
- 5 rainwater harvesting plant installed in Mongla P.S. Jurisdiction and out of which 3 in Buridanga Union and another 2 in Malgazi Union. For these, 250 families are getting benefit of safe water.
Community Development and Arsenic Mitigation Project
It is observed that groundwater in many places are more or less contaminated by natural occurrence of Arsenic. Extensive contamination of arsenic in the ground water was confirmed by DPHE and BAMWSP through an intensive screening and mobilization program in most of the areas of Bangladesh. Bagerhat sadar and Banaripara Upzila are the most affected areas where concentration of arsenic contamination is very high in the shallow ground water level.
BRIDGE is selected as a SO considering the recommendations and experience gathered from the prior phase to help build the capacity of communities and local government institutions to respond to the arsenic crisis through awareness raising, training and management of arsenic mitigation activities in Bagerhat sadar and Banaripara Upzila. These are defined as upzila containing unions in which more than 40% of the households were found not to have access to arsenic safe water, immediate emergency relief intervention will be provided to the community in public places as an interim arrangement.
BRIDGE will develop community Based Organization in each ward of Bagerhat sadar Upzila. This process will require capacity building of local Government Institutes and WAMWUGs to involve them in identifying and planning low cost options to provide sustainable supplies of arsenic safe water. A demand driven approach must be adopted to mobilize local resources at the community level for cost sharing.
The overall objectives of the mitigation program are to harness the potential of the hot spot communities and local government institutions to deal with the problem of arsenic safe water supply. The specific objectives of the activities to be undertaken by the support organization are the following:
- Enhance community awareness of arsenic related issues water supply;
- Assist communities in the organization of WAMWUGs to plan, construct and maintain their own water supply systems based on locally acceptable and affordable technology;
- Assist WAMWUGs to better understand and select household and community based options for arsenic safe water supply;
- Promote the generation of resources within the community for cost sharing in sub-project implementation operation and maintenance.
- Develop the capacity of communities to monitor their own arsenic safe water supplies;
- Strengthen the ability of local government institutions to mobilize arsenic affected communities, help them installs arsenic safe water supplies;
- Help arsenic patient’s linkage with nearly health centers for referral and treatment advice.
To implement this project BRIDGE is working as support organization (SO) in Bagerhat sadar and Banaripara Upazilas.
Location of the Program
The location of the program is the Bagerhat sadar upzila of Bagerhat District. Almost 7 unions are include in the project areas, they are Shatgumbuj, Karapara, Jatrapur, Baroipara, Bishnopur, Gotapara and Bemorta unions and 5 unions i.e. Banaripara, Chakhar, Syedkhati, Sholiabakpur and Bisharkandi of Banaripara Upzila under Barisal District.
- Conduct Arsenic Fare
- Recruitment of Community development promoter (CDP)
- Ward Arsenic Mitigation water users Group (WAMWUG) Preparation
- Training to WAMWUG
- Ward Action Plan (WAP) Preparation and implementation.
- Distribution of IEC materials
- Formation of 63 WAMWUG at bagerhat sadar and 45 WAMWUG at Banaripara Upzila
- Open Bank account for each WAMWUG at nearest schedule bank
- Formation of 63 Project Implementation committee (PIC) at Bagerhat sadar and 45 PIC at Banaripara upazila
- Each PIC has implemented the alternative low-cost option of safe drinking water especially deep tube well or concern ward level.
Disable Rehabilitation Project
BRIDGE realized the importance of disabled in the society. He found that the disabled are usually ignored in the society and they do not get minimum value from the society as well as from their family. If they got necessary support they can contribute in social development. From this Point Of View BRIDGE initiated disabled rehabilitation program since 1997. In 1998, getting support from Lillion Fonds-Netherlands.
Primarily about 10 disabled children were engaged in this rehabilitation program and now about 40 disabled children are getting with proper assistance from BRIDGE and Netherlands finds. Their age limit 6-28 years.
Different Types of Support for Disabled children are listed below:
|Education All Support||Physic Therapy||Medicine||Appliances||Wheel Chair||Operation||Vocational Training||IGA Support|
Project Duration: 1997 to 2006
Donor: BRIDGE and Netherlands
- Regular school going school with disabilities are 16 of whom 2 nos. of disabled completed SSC and getting admission in college.
- 11 nos. of person with disabilities able to earn by establishing grocery shop, betel-leaf shop, cow rearing, sewing machine through IGA Support;
- By providing physiotherapy services about 40%-80% conditions are improved and 3 nos. of disabled getting efficiency about 90% for walking and now they have no need for appliances for walking;
- After successful operation 4 nos. of disabled child moving easily;
- By providing wheel chair 4 nos. of disabled easily moved;
After imparting vocational training 5 nos. of disabled are able to earn in the related field.
Waste Management Recycling project
BRIDGE is one of the partners of “Poribesh Forum” and the forum has been implementing waste management and recycling project in 5 wards (19,20,21,22,25) of Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) on pilot basis. World bank is financing this program. This project will be expanded to other wards according to the success of polit phase and with time this will lead to the recycling project. A main activity of this project is to collect the garbage from each household and then it dumping in the city corporation recycling areas.